Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

9 year old husky shepard mix suddenly has acted destructive…

Customer Question
9 year old husky shepard...
9 year old husky shepard mix suddenly has acted destructive in last few days. She hasnt eaten in 3 days. Or drank much. SHE pulls cords out of wall at night jumps on everything. Always been a timid dog. Has a few rotting teeth. Will just sit and stare at the wall and hide in the tightest corners she can find. Is my grandmothers dog. They believe she has dementia whats your thoughts
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Still timid and destructive at night. Grandmother is considering putting her down unless i can find a solution. She dont want to pay for any solution. I have found thyroid or even allergies as possible causes

Both are accurate. Behavioral conditions can occur for many reasons and they range in cause. Is she on any medication right now?

No medications no.
No medications no

I don't think it's fair to consider this dementia without diagnostics to rule out other potentials. I would say that she's certainly agitated for one reason or another, the cause may be nigh impossible to determine since grandmother doesn't want to expend the money on diagnostic care. This can be expensive, of course, and doesn't guarantee an answer, nor that a treatment will be available.

If you believe that her symptoms might be due to pain and she's on no other medications, starting her on a joint supplement given her age would be wise (I use and recommend http://www.glycoflex.com products) and she can also take aspirin as often as every 12 hours to help with discomfort (dosing info here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/) The restlessness/destructive behavior can also be addressed with 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours to help calm her. You can also try melatonin, as well: http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/melatonin-for-dogs-uses-benefits-and-dosage/ I would try to entice her with boiled proteins like turkey, chicken and egg. If you notice any vomiting or drooling (nausea), you can give regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours if no other medications are being given that we haven’t discussed. This should help with GI symptoms. You can find the dosing information available here: https://www.petcarerx.com/medication-guides/famotidine-for-pet-stomach-ulcers/1116 For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to use a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). Be sure to give a few teaspoons of water following any dry pilling to help flush the pill down to the stomach. [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, please discontinue the famotidine.]

I would also consider a food intended for aging dogs that supports mental acuity like Hill's B/D. https://www.chewy.com/hills-prescription-diet-bd-brain/dp/54660?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Hill%27s%20Prescription%20Diet&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_dNRZ4bQrPqyhmWpfWb4A0o8xy3GeymcDTfQGnqhrXmcTPYlliQ0XxoCLgsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

She gives her benadryl at night now..it lasts half the night. Since my grandfather died 2 years ago she became a different dog. Within past week it has become significantly worse.

How much does she weigh and how many milligrams are being given?

Has she tried the melatonin I recommended and linked you to above?

Has an aging brain food been tried?

Nope just same old pedigree. She weighs 45 lbs.. 1.5 benadryl which is technically too much
Never tried melatonin

At 45 pounds she needs 50-100mg being given every 8-12 hours. Medicate an hour before bed. Benadryl typically come in 25mg if she's using capsules so she may actually be using too little for a dog the size of Angel.

Try melatonin. You'll need to make these recommendations that I shared above to your grandmother if they're to be tried (and to determine if they work). I'd also consider the diet change. Benadryl and melatonin are going to be two of your best bets for addressing a behavioral concern at home without prescription medication.

A pleasant good morning to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​