Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got two bottles of sugar free syrup made with Splenda…

Customer Question
My dog got two...

My dog got two bottles of sugar free syrup made with Splenda one was chocolate and the other Carmel. He managed to open both and consume them almost entirely. They are 25 ounces each and there are about two ounces left

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He is a black English lab. Weight 106 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He seems to be acting normally and does not appear to be in pain. I am concerned about all the sugar free crap and the chocolate

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Should we have his stomach pumped?

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate it?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am not sure. We were gone from 10 am to 1pm pacific time. He did it while we were gone. The remnants on the floor were pretty much dry so I would guess 11 or 12 at the latest
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
We have hydrogen peroxide

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What’s going on?

Friend, the splenda is not toxic to dogs. The main concern is the chocolate. Chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose-dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. I would try to get him to vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- To induce vomiting give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, abdominal swelling, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), unlikely to develop any symptoms.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Swell. What do I do??
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok it says you are not calling. Are you going to respond
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok. It appears you are not going to respond. I consider any charge to my credit card fraudulent and require that you immediately credit it back. I will call for other assistance.

I did respond; please read your answer above. I will repeat it below:

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When you offered a phone call and then retracted the offer and I heard nothing, I assumed that the service was not honorable and contacted another provider (ASPCA Poison control). They charged more, but answered immediately by phone. By the time I finally got your response, I already had talked totem and received an answer. Under the circumstances and given that I sent several inquiries and got no response, I consider any charge for this service unacceptable and reject it. FYI ASPCA poison control gave me a very different answer than your person did. They asked for more information and I feel much more confident with their response.

I will send this to customer service they can help you with charges issues.