Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been licking and drooling excessively and

Customer Question
Hi, my dog has...

Hi, my dog has been licking and drooling excessively and salivating a lot. We thought he had soemthing stuck in his throat or nose. Brought him to the vet, they did a probe and found nothing. He has small white bumps on the back of his throat. He seems nauseous as he keeps on drooling excessively.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No, but we have a lot of invasive grass on our property.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?

But the vet found nothing in his throat or nose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Murphy, age 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Murphy

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

Maybe brand change but I'm not sure if it was around the same time he developed these issues. Hes on an anti-nausea medication and a substance to coat his throat but this was prescribed for him for these symptoms

Can you tell me the name of these medications? Have they helped?

They helped but only for a short time. His symptoms persist periodically throughout the day and are at their worst at night. The medications are cerenia (maropitant citrate) and sucralfate (carafate)

Are you seeing any vomiting, retching or dry heaving?

Did your vet perform any diagnostics like x-rays or a barium series?

The vet sedated him and probed his nose and throat and found nothing. There was small white bumps on the back of his throat. He swallows, drules and licks throughout the day and will occasionally hack to clear his throat.

Do you happen to have a video of the hacking you see? Does he produce any mucus or food during this time?

I'll send u one now

I'll be standing by.

For some reason it wont send

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If your files won’t load they may be too large for the site. You can also use FREE websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If, by chance, you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Is it possible he has a yeast infection in the back of this throat? Could this be why the white bumps are present?

Yeast infection is unlikely but bacterial infections are more common. Your vet could certainly take a swab of the area and evaluate it under the microscope to see what was found. If he's not already being fed a soft diet (like boiled rice and chicken) this may help with the symptom of drooling and licking. It can also help an otherwise irritated throat area to heal for quickly than when consuming kibble. Moreover, since you mentioned invasive grasses, if he's prone to eating stuff outdoors like grass the potential does exist for foreign material to be the original culprit .

A pleasant good morning to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​