Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has shown all the signs of distemper I have taken her to…

Customer Question
She has shown all...

She has shown all the signs of distemper I have taken her to the emergency hospital but they couldn't guarantee survival and a estimated cost of $3,700.00 so I got the anti seizure meds and antibiotics to come home and care for her here I'm feeding her turkey baby food and keeping her hydrated she has taken her meds accordingly and occasionally turn on the shower for a little steam she seems to be in and out of reality but at times can trot around and sit up but for the most part has just been sleeping

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Belle 3 months got vaccinated May 5th

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Belle?

I believe I covered everything she did go to pet smart 2 weeks ago to get groomed her next vaccination date is june 5th

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What questions can I address for you today?

How long do the symptoms last

That truly depends on the dog. I hope that your vet discussed the fact that a low percentage of dogs survive distemper and those that do often have symptoms that last the duration of their lives. This can range from chronic respiratory disorders to muscle fasciculations to seizure activity. Typically what we see when a puppy has distemper will not worsen over the lifetime of the dog, however, you may see lasting symptoms like those mentioned above. If she is suffering from respiratory problems you should expect to see symptoms for a few days to a few weeks. If she reaches the end of her antibiotics and respiratory symptoms persist I would recommend a recheck as your vet will likely want to continue for a longer period of time.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

A pleasant good evening to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy