Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

IT seems my lab sliced open her pad. The top layer of the…

Customer Question
Good morning- IT seems...

Good morning- IT seems my lab sliced open her pad. The top layer of the pad is cut and almost hanging off. There is no blood. I think it is the top layer and needs to come off and be bandaged. Just need help with the first steps, please.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No blood at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Hattie, 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hattie?

She's happy and not in pain.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I understand your pet Hattie seems to have sliced the top layer of her pad. Ouchy. But there is no bleeding? That is great news. Do you have a picture of the area to show me here?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no picture
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
it is the larger pad. it look almost like the top layer of skin was pulled off. no bleeding.
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

Hmm. Ok. I will do my best then.

So what steps exactly do you need help with?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
can i cut the skin that has come off? then bandage?
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

You can try cutting the hanging off paw pad with some small scissors. Hair scissors may work best for this. But you have to be extremely careful not to injure your pet with the scissors.

I hope this is the right thing to do. I don't have a picture so this is really going to be your judgement call

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I don't know if this needs a bandage without a picture. So you will have to use your judgement on that as well.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

But you can clean the area with Betadine diluted 50:50 with warm water. to clean the area.

If you think a bandage is needed to keep debris out of the area, then you can use a non-stick pad, continuous gauze, and some bandage tape from your local pharmacy

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

Just make sure to use some kind of soft padding underneath the bandage tape to cushion the area so that it doesn't get too tight. Something like this may work, https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-gauze-pads/ID=prod6169375-product or thicker if you can find it at your local pharmacy.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

So the bandaging should be in this order from skin to outside.

1) Tefla pad (or any nonstick pad)

2) Gauze or cotton padding

3) Continuos gauze

4) Bandage tape

Then change the bandage daily and check the paw for swelling to ensure it isn't too tight. You may have to spray some Ick spray or Bitter apple spray from your local pet store to discourage Hattie from chewing off the bandage.

I hope this helps!

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

Is there anything else I can assist you with today concerning your pets paw?

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

Are you still there?

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I see you haven' connected to the chat in quite a while. I hope you aren't experiencing any technical difficulties. If so, then please visit this website link and hopefully it can help assist you. http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

If this information was helpful for you and your pet. Then please leave me a rating at this time. THis is how I am credited with assisting you today. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day.

Best regards,

Dr. H