Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I dropped a low dosage aspirin on the floor and it’s

Customer Question
I dropped a low...

I dropped a low dosage aspirin on the floor and it’s posdible she ingested it. Actually, I am guessing it was the aspirin-I took two other pills at the same time but one (I think it was the aspirin) stuck to my hand and I heard it hit the floor. I cannot find it, so I think she ate it. The other two pills were Zyrtec and Pepcid, but I wouldn’t be as worried if it were one of them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

We are RV camping in the middle of nowhere.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What milligrams was it?

How long ago did this happen?

What does she weigh?

How is she just now?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
81 mg
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
About an hour ago,
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
16 lbs
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
She is sleeping

Hi again,

Just a moment I will type my reply and post in full.

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Please note it is NOT baby aspirin

Hi again,

It doesn't actually matter which type it is, its more the milligrams/dose. In this case, this is not an overdose for her size. So, we can breathe a sigh of relief. Though I would note that there is a risk of GI upset (diarrhea, vomiting) and a low risk of possible stomach ulceration from this. So while we could induce vomiting or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, to protect her stomach or we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). Just give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption every 12 hours for a day or two and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again its a low risk situation for her and we'd not be panicked here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*************************

Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 25 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.