Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has been shivering but not all the time, some loss of…

Customer Question
Dog has been shivering...

Dog has been shivering but not all the time, some loss of appetite, and seems weaker...not able to jump as before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Gizmo. 4 years 9 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gizmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gizmo?

He has shots for Rabies, DHPP , Corona, and Bordetella

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Gizmo is feeling better today. No shivering seen and he ate normally in the morning. Gizmo has had some symptoms of not feeling well off and on for a week. A week ago he threw up all his food which was a lot. Last night he threw up too but it was a small amount of stomach fluid...no food. Gums appear pink and no lip licking (unless he has eaten something). He was coughing a lot yesterday as if he had something in his lungs. I think the coughing stopped after he threw up. No tenderness to his belly today but he has yelped occasionally when picked up in the recent past which we couldn't identify why. No evidence of having eaten anything harmful. Hard to tell breathing rate, so I'm guessing 30.