Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a lump on his right side next to his rib cage.

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a lump on his right side next to his rib cage. The lump is hard but it moves easly under the skin. Could it be something serious?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's 6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Turbo?

He was sick for about a month, he had high fevers and was not eating and bleeding through his nose. The vet gave him antibiotics. He's since recovered but he's still a few pounds under weight.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with Turbo. How long has this lump been there? What breed is he? Is the lump growing?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He's a poodle. After he got sick he stopped eating and lost allot of weight and that's when I noticed a lump.

Sometimes when weight is lost, it can be easier to feel things in the skin and underlying tissues. This lump, it may be something very benign like a sebaceous cyst or a fatty growth. The cyst is typically the one that is more firm in palpation of it. Could it be something more serious? That is a possibility too. The good news is that a lot of information about it can be obtained very simply. At my clinic, if I felt this in the skin, I would do a fine needle aspirate to get some of the cells / material from it to look at on a microscope slide under a microscope. It can be done very quickly and it isn't uncomfortable for them. If this is a cyst or benign fat growth, then nothing most likely needs to be done as they are typically more cosmetic issues. If it is something more serious, then further steps can be take to treat it like surgically removing it.