Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

For the last week my lab has had swollen testicle sac his…

Customer Question
For the last week...

For the last week my lab has had swollen testicle sac his penis shaft. I administered Penicillin and it looked like it was getting better but now after 7 days its swollen just like in the beginning. He does have white drainage from penis. When he urinates it is clear no visible signs of blood or pus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the lab's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

Charlie was a stray that we took in a few years ago since he was discarded as a puppy.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There are a number of considerations in dogs such as Charlie. A small amount of yellow-white smegma is normal at the preputial opening of male dogs of any age or neuter status. It's more of a nuisance than a real disease in juvenile animals except if it is of anatomic orign (a defect) or systemic (e.g., coagulopathy/clotting defect). Other rarer causes of the discharge include acquired or iatrogenic (caused by treatment) hormonal imbalances, transmissible venereal tumor, canine herpesvirus type I or Brucella canis infection, prostatic disease, and foreign body that has found its way into the prepuce (the sheath of the penis). Charlie's vet will want to thorough examine inside the prepuce (the covering of the penis) and palpate Charlie's testicles. This may require light anesthesia. Castration of Charlie might be recommended if infection is suspected in his testicles. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.