Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has very loose stool on and off 2 days 22 lb male wiener…

Customer Question
He has very loose...

He has very loose stool on and off 2 days 22 lb male wiener dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Dooley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dooley?

14 years old generally good health mild heart mumer

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Dooley is unwell, hopefully, this is something minor, but of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.

But that said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog which some owners try while waiting for their vet's appointment. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water and is drinking.

B. The next day give him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, two teaspoons twice a day is fine for a dog of your one's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Dooley's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Dooley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his loose stools ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott