Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Small 2 year old ten pound female poodle has started limping…

Customer Question
Small 2 year old...

Small 2 year old ten pound female poodle has started limping - favoring left leg - is not whining - was trimmed by groomer 3 days ago -em 2-3 days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Doesn't appeat to be

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sandy - last night shewas running in playful circles (zooming ????)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She seemed to poop earlier today and did not limp - she definitely favors the leg - but does not whine/cry

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Sandy has this problem, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Soft tissue injuries such as minor strains or sprains are very common in the dog { Perhaps following the zooming session last night } and the symptoms can present just as you describe. Thankfully many such injuries will resolve with a couple of days of complete rest and then a gradual return to exercise combined with an anti-inflammatory drug of some kind.

2. As far as over the counter " human " anti-inflammatory drugs go you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

3. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

4. Of course, if things do not quickly start to improve or you become further concerned then you should have your vet check your dog over things over. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sandy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wii try again I don’t see a reply message

Please stand by I will send my reply again ...

Hello again,

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sandy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her leg problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott