Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

In his feces this morning I found some small worms about the…

Customer Question
In his feces this...

In his feces this morning I found some small white worms about the size of rice, they were not moving, but they seem to be causing some pain when he poops

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the small white. What is the small white's name and age?

His name is Chainsaw & he's a little over two.. he's a chihuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chainsaw?

No, just that I found those small white worms, that seem dead, & the pain it seems to cause him when he poops

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you found small white worms in Chainsaw's feces this morning. Are you observing any diarrhea or loose stool as well or is the stool normal?

Normal stool, he helped while he was pooping,

Thank you for that information. These are tapeworms that you described. They are parasites that most typically come from fleas, although they can sometimes come from living in the dirt. Treatment for this is with a medication called praziquantel. Your veterinarian will have it, but there is also an over-the-counter treatment available for dogs. One product name is ***** *****

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are you still connected?

They weren't tape worms, they were round not flat....so no it didn't answer my question

These are in fact tapeworms if they are short like a grain of rice. Tapeworms are round actually, although when they elongate they can appear flattened. Roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms are much longer such as 2-3 inches or more. Tapeworms are shorter.

Does that help?