Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a pound of grated Parmesan cheese last night and…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a pound of grated Parmesan cheese last night and now he appears to have a stomachache since he hasn’t eaten his breakfast. Is there anything I can do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is*****’s a fu

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Gauge?

He’s a four year old German short hair pointer. He weighs about 90 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gauge?

He is on phenobarbital for seizures

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns and then several moments to type up my recommendations.

Certainly Gauge is feeling overly full.

But there are likely other complicating factors.

Most adult dogs are lactose intolerant. That amount of cheese could lead to significant gas production, cramping, pain and likely diarrhea.

The other issue is the high fat content in cheese which could lead to pancreatitis, inflammation of his pancreas causing increased enzyme production, usually related to a high fat meal, which can lead to severe abdominal pain and possibly peritonitis.

I probably would have recommended you induce vomiting last night to avoid trouble, but it is too late now the cheese is well out of his stomach by now.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. You can give either one of these for a couple days to help his stomach discomfort.

I would food fast him for the next 24 hours. This will help ease intestinal cramping and hopefully lessen diarrhea.

Then if he seems to feel better feed a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice for the next few days. Add 2 tablespoons of canned or fresh cooked pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac to his meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

If he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a bout of pancreatitis and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****