Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What has always gone on with her, she's extremely fear

Customer Question
What has always gone...

What has always gone on with her, she's extremely fear aggresive with everyone but me. I have two Dachshunds, they are sisters, litter mates. My husband and I got them when they were six months old. We've had many Doxies, all just as sweet as can be. Her sister is very sweet, loves people, Daisy charges people, anyone, family , anyone who comes in the house. We always have to put her up or she will bite. For the last five years my h usband was dying from congestive heart failure so that took all my energy and strength. We love her very much. She's been loving always with us. My husband passed away last year. I don't know if it's too late to change this in her, but I can't board her if I needed too. It's even hard to get her to the vet because I'm afraid she'll bite them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Just that she's about 12 now. Full of pep, my loving little girl with me, but no one else. I hate that she's so afraid of people. As I said, I've never had a dog that did this before. But I love her. I've had people tell me to put her down, but I wouldn't do that, she loves me, and is a good girl with me.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 22 days ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am working on your question now. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What have you tried as far as training goes?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
As I said, my husband was very ill the last five years and I was his caretaker during that time so we really didn't have time or funds for a dog trainer. He passed away last June. I don't know now if it's too late to try to work with a trainer with her. I work full time now too. I've tried crating her in the living room when people come over to see if she would get more used to people being around. But she will charge them the second I let her out of the crate . I can hold her and keep her still but any movement and she goes for any guest, even family that she sees all the time. With us she's always been sweet and loving. It's just awful because I am afraid of her biting people. She has bit family members before, nipped at their ankles etc. I have a muzzle I can put on her but she will even try to bite through that. So it basically keeps me a prisoner here because even if I wanted to go away for a weekend no one can take care of her, and no one will board her. But I love her, she's my baby.

Thank you. The fact that she wants to charge people tells me she has some fear aggression , meaning if she feels trapped ,s he will bite. She will also bite when the person has their back to her because they are not face to face with her to challenge that.

At her age, training would have to be done daily, and different types of training and she very well may never take to it as her actions have worked for her for so many years. I do feel it would be a waste of your money to invest in a trainer at this age.

I would not put her in a crate where others can walk up to her or where they pass her as she feels trapped. It is best to keep her , if she will stay, in a bedroom that no one has access to so she has some comfort.

I guess we have to think how detrimental it will be to her to suddenly force liking people on her. If it backslides she won't trust you anymore either.

IF she were my dog, I would let her live out her years in a safe and secure environment. Like people, not everyone likes to be the life of the party or even attend the party!

Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 20 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant