Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

In between her hips (back) she has a dark rasin like tag.

Customer Question
In between her hips...

In between her hips (back) she has a dark rasin like tag. About year and a half ago I initially thought it was a tech, but gradually has grown. After being away for work past week I picked her up from my moms and noticed that it was passing and bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She has a nine-year-old Boston terrier

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the photos. It appears to represent one of the sebaceous gland tumors - nodular sebaceous hyperplasia, sebaceous epithelioma, or sebaceous adenoma. All are benign. Occasionally, these represent a sebaceous gland adenocarcinoma which is more dangerous but still holds a good prognosis with complete surgical excision. Whatever the type, it has been traumatized and has begun to bleed and so this needs to be removed (laser abalation or cryosurgery is preferred) and removal should be curative. This won't respond to conservative (medical) treatment. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you for that information and answering my question, very much appreciated! I have quadritop ointment, would it be beneficial to apply that to the cyst?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 30 days ago

No, simply cleansing the area with a mild soap will suffice. The ointment won't be harmful, however.

You're quite welcome. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok, great. Thank you again for your assistance!

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.