Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How successful is the "tie back" surgery to repair laryngeal…

Customer Question
How successful is the "tie...
How successful is the "tie back" surgery to repair laryngeal paralysis? 8.5 year old female lab
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Leah Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr Hill. How long ago did she start showing symptoms of the laryngeal paralysis?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It really presented about a month ago, but I had her had the vet for a left hind leg weakness.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Lesser symptoms probably were there earlier but not identified

So did she collapse today?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No. Normally its just an episode. Today she never could catch her breath and it got worse quickly
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I also live in Houston and the last few days have been very hot and humid. She is an indoor dog though and we keep the Air conditioning cool

Ok. So tie back surgery is very successful since it really opens up the airway, BUT there are complications to it as well and the main one is aspiration pneumonia because they can't close their layrnx when they swallow food or drink water. 'But in severe cases of paralysis there is really nothing else that can be done but surgery. I once had a patient that was so bad she would pass out after walking a few steps and after surgery she was back to normal. with the heat and humidity it causes swelling of the airway which makes things worse. So surgery is really the main and only treatment for this. I hope this helps.

If you have any other questions let me know and I will help you however I can. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is really appreciated as as I strive to give you the best information I can. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You are still able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
My dog eats really aggressively and quickly, almost like she is inhaling the food. I'm very worried that she would be susceptible to complications and pneumonia. I don't want to spend $5,000 for surgery if it's probable that it won't extend her longevity. How likely are those complications? I'm considering having her euthanized this evening.

This is from a recent post from a surgeon. There are definitely complications. Sometimes we an adjust food-using meatballs of wet food instead of kibble. But there are no guarantees. I know its such a hard decision to make.

1. Aspiration is a life long risk. I believe there are reports of up to ~27% of dogs.
2. I would avoid swimming if possible and recommend a harness instead of a collar.
3. There is mounting evidence that "idiopathic" laryngeal paralysis is a symptom of a more global neuromuscular disease. In a recent study, many dogs showed evidence of concurrent esophageal dysfunction (not just megaesophagus) and/or a more widespread peripheral neuropathy. I would definitely keep that in mind for the future.
4. Recurrence of clinical signs is possible - esp if the repair fails (suture breaks, pulls through, cartilage breaks, etc.). Though most dogs do well, I would still be careful in warm weather, etc.

Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Dog Veterinarian