Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a grapefruit makeup wipe. He’s a lab. One wipe.

Customer Question
My dog ate a grapefruit...
My dog ate a grapefruit makeup wipe . He’s a lab. One wipe . It was in the garbage three days ago. Willl he be ok?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Can you please tell me the company name so I can review the ingredients?

Nutrogena

If this is the neutrogena product then there is nothing in this that can be toxic and with his size likely this will have no ill effects but there are some precautions we can take but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the wipe please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 3 pieces of bread now

- Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push it through

- Monitor for signs of the wipe coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours but you may not see it because it will be somewhat digestible

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

The grapefruit won’t hurt him?

There is not enough in this that will harm him no and it will not be toxic but cause gi upset if there were issues but again I suspect you won't have any ill effects with his size and one wipe

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am online another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance tonight