Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her tummy is tight and she yelps when picked up. Her stool…

Customer Question
Her tummy is tight...

Her tummy is tight and she yelps when picked up. Her stool that she has passed is runny, thick brown. She is panting and not acting herself and I'm really concerned

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Okay I guess. She is still not acting herself. Thus did not start until I put flea meds on her by hartz. I am aware if it's a blockage she would be vomiting. None of that has occurred. She is just weak and yelps when you pick her up and then in the next breath she's back to her playful self. Been like this for 2 days now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

Is she eating and drinking well?

No nothing that I'm aware of other than flea meds

Is she eating and drinking well?​

She's eating & drinking okay not great. One minute she seems better then in the next she is panting and then will yelp when picked up. She seems weak. If she's not better by Monday I will be taking her to the vet
Still no bowel movements but has urinated couple of times. Bought soft dog food and she ate a little. I keep ice chips near by. She seems to like them. So I know she's staying hydrated.

A tight abdomen and yelping certainly indicate discomfort. Diarrhea suggests that this may be a digestive upset but the symptoms can also indicate back pain. Since she is having runny stool I would urge you to move her to a bland diet for a few days and see if this helps. You can also use Pepcid to help settle her stomach, which may increase her willingness to eat and drinking and may help with the discomfort in her abdomen, as well.

You can give regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours if no other medications are being given that we haven’t discussed. This should help with GI symptoms. You can find the dosing information available here: https://www.petcarerx.com/medication-guides/famotidine-for-pet-stomach-ulcers/1116 For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to use a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). Be sure to give a few teaspoons of water following any dry pilling to help flush the pill down to the stomach. [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, please discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours after you have given a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a small amount of bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Avoid skin and bone. Use no salt, butter, oils, spices or other enticing additives. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the meat is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using or adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. You want to work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over a 10 day period. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If she worsens before Monday I do think that she should be seen by a vet. Watch for nausea, vomiting, producing blood in vomit or her stool, lethargy, seizures, etc.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after rating at no further charge on this thread. I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

A pleasant good afternoon to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​