Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ele takes 1/2 apoquel. bottle says 5.4 mg but the vet halved…

Customer Question
ele takes 1/2 apoquel. bottle...
ele takes 1/2 apoquel. bottle says 5.4 mg but the vet halved the pillsdickens takes 16 mg again the pills were halved at the officei gave either scooty or eke their pill and then gave scooty it ele dickens pillscooty also was given his acepromazine ( which is a seductive) 10mgcalled cvs but pharmacist said he had no info on vet medsour vets are closed. what must i do?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

so let me make sure I understand you: So Scooty was the only one overdose, correct?

i’ve no idea which one was overdosed.

The acepromazine is not a problem.....ok, lets talk about one at a time then......assume it was Scooty then how much does Scooty weigh and how mnay mg may he have gotten?

What is the maximum dose that Scooty could have gotten?

are you there?

scooty weighs 22.4 lbs
he is the one who also took the sedativeele weighs 16 lbsscooty and ele took either 5.4 or half of that dose. the vetcut the pills in half so i don’t know if he started eith 5.4 or 10.8. 5.4 is on the bottle but he had halved the pillsthe other pills were for another dog Dickens. the pills in that container were also in half. the bottle says 16 mg but again i don’t know what dose the vet started withscooty takes the 10 mg acepromazine

did you still need assistance?

the bottle tells the exact mg of the tablet......does not matter whether they are halved or not......one whole tablet is 5.4 or 16 mg....

If Scooty or Ele took a whole 5.4 mg tablet it will not hurt them....and the sedative does not matter...

did that answer your question? or do you have other questions?

Did I answer your questions or do you have additional concerns?

both dogs took a 5.4 and one of those also took the 16mg. so that means that one of those dogs got 4 FOUR times the dose of apoquel he should have

Did he take a full 16 mg or a half of a 16 mg?

Apoquel comes in 16 mg and if pills were halved then it was only 8 mg......so which is it?

ele takes 1/2 apoquel. bottle says 5.4 mg but the vet halved the pillsdickens takes 16 mg again the pills were halved at the officei gave either scooty or eke their pill and then gave scooty it ele dickens pillscooty also was given his acepromazine ( which is a seductive) 10mg

So......your dogs are going to be fine..in studies dogs were given up to 3 mg/kg without any appreciable adverse effects. Just skip their dose tomorrow and resume the proper dose the next day......

can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

Here is the entire study on apoquel......this is very safe even at doses much higher than normal......

I hope this helps you...your dogs should all be fine....DRB

thank you

sure....