Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She swallowed a 10 mg Zyrtec. She is 6 month old Golden

Customer Question
She swallowed a 10...

She swallowed a 10 mg Zyrtec. She is 6 month old Golden Retriever weighing 50 lbs. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Josie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?

No. She is very health. Was just fixed on May 15th.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Is this a regular Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride as the only active ingredient) or one with a decongestant (Zyrtec-D)?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Regular
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Chat is fine

Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) is an antihistamine that we can use in dogs. It is dosed at 1/2 mg per pound of body weight orally every 24 hours. That would be one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight. So she actually took a lower than usual dose for a dog her size. I would expect her to be just fine, and likely not show any signs from eating this pill.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I'll call my vet

It is never a bad idea to consult your veterinarian too, did you have any questions or concerns about what I wrote?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara