Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has scabby skin and loosing hair. I was brush him…

Customer Question
My dog has scabby...

My dog has scabby skin and loosing hair

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

I was brush him yesterday and a huge clump of hair came out

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

On his back- just itching

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is your dog's name and age?

Barrett and he is 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barrett?

He has had ear infections-

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 29 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach pictures or video of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If your files won’t load they may be too large for the site. You can also use FREE websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If, by chance, you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

It does. Is this the only area where you're seeing the scabbing?

Where on the body is this located?

Is he both chewing and scratching?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Has your vet performed any diagnostics?

What flea prevention are you using and when was it last dosed?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It's only on his back. We dont use tick or flea medication. He is just scratching. No medication. I have not contacted the vet yet.

Upper back near the shoulders? Midback? or lower back near the tail?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My other dog hasnt had issues of any kind at all

Upper back near the shoulders? Midback? or lower back near the tail?​

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Mid back area. Last night I put some coconut oil on it and that seemed to have helped as well as wash him

Thank you for the additional information.

I do think it would be worthwhile to have this area examined by your vet. It's not uncommon for us to see hotspots during the summer months and this would be one of the more common causes of one dog experiencing problems where the other housemate was not. If you must treat this at home I would clip this area back to the skin with a pair of hair trimmers. The area can be cleaned 1x daily with mild soap and water, regular Neosporin applied 2x daily, and antihistamine therapy can be given to help with itching. I would recommend Zyrtec or Benadryl. Dosing info available here: https://dogappy.com/antihistamine-for-dogs If he's not already receiving a flea prevention I would suggest it. For some intensely sensitive dogs, even a single flea bite can cause inflamed, rashy areas like this to break out and it only becomes worse if they encounter more fleas in their environment. It may take 10-14 days for an area like this to heal and fur should grow back in within 6 weeks. If you choose to approach this at home and the area does not improve with time (or you see worsening of symptoms) your companion does need to be seen and treated by a vet.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 27 days ago

A pleasant good afternoon to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​