Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Last night after playing fetch and being outside all day I…

Customer Question
Last night after playing...

Last night after playing fetch and being outside all day I noticed my dogs nail was at a 90 degree angle pointing upward. No bleeding noted and he did not seem to be in pain unless you touched the area. It was late at night and since he didn't appear to be in any distress I decided to wait until today and was going to take him to the vet. This morning the nail was down flat again. Still no blood or any signs of pain but I don't know if the nail is fully attached.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your dog's name and age?

Ray and he is an 8 year old blue heeler mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ray?

No, he has not had any issues or a problem like this before.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Ray's nail got twisted playing fetch.

Even though it has seemingly moved back into place the nail does need to be removed. It will not reattach, it will continue to move around and traumatize the nailbed and may cause an infection.

If it isn't easily removed then he needs to see a veterinarian.

If he isn't bothering it (not licking), the toe itself isn't swollen and there is no discharge or bleeding from the nailbed, then he can be seen tomorrow if you can't get him in today.

If he nail is hanging loosely and you can get the nail off and he isn't limping on that paw you may be able to treat this at home.

But odds are he will need to be lightly sedated by his veterinarian to remove the nail, as that hurts!

In the meantime and after the nail is removed the most important things are to keep him from licking and to protect the nailbed so it doesn't get damaged or dirty and infected.

Once the nail is removed in the house there's probably no need to cover it. But if the quick seems to be catching on carpet or collecting debris you can cover the whole paw loosely with a clean sock secured at the top above his paw with masking tape. Masking tape is great because it's hard to wrap too tightly, thus less chance of cutting off circulation to the foot, and it sticks to fur but not too much, so it is easily removed without tearing out fur. Do make sure it is wrapped securely though so it isn't slipping.

When he goes outdoors make sure to put a plastic baggie over the sock so the foot/quick doesn't get wet.

If his paw gets wet remove the sock and dry it gently.

If you choose to leave a sock on in the house change it daily.

If he is licking at his foot then place an elizabethan (lampshade) collar so it doesn't get traumatized or infected.

If you see that his toe/nailbed is swollen, or there is any sort of green or yellow discharge then he needs to see his veterinarian for an examination and further treatment.

To help with skin and nail health in general you might wish to supplement with an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps ES). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 80 pound dog could take 1600mg of EPA per day.

If he is routinely losing nails or his nails seem very brittle, breaking and splitting easily, this can indicate underlying disease like hypothyroidism or autoimmune disease (body attacks itself) and that should be looked into more closely.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara