Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is a 14 year old 20lb terrier/shitsoo mix?usualy very

Customer Question
Jack is a 14...

Jack is a 14 year old 20lb terrier/shitsoo mix?usualy very active,woke up this morning disoriented and dizzy,legs not working quite right?he has some skin tags or worts that have been bothering him for the last year.is it possible he had a stroke?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Jack

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear about your dog Jack. It is possible this might have been a vestibular event. This can be confirmed if there is a head tilt and/ or eyes dart side to side

Here is a link to more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/vestibular-disease-in-dogs

Luckily in most dogs they will improve within a week of having this event. We don't fully understand the reason this happens in pets unless there is an overt ear infection that is the cause but in most cases this is not the issue

Supportive care is often the best treatment for vestibular disease which means keeping quiet, minimizing the ability to cause injury such as stairs, fluids under the skin to maintain hydration until this passes if there is vomiting, anti nausea medication if there are symptoms of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) or vomiting and medication to help with dizziness if there is difficulty getting around or a reduction in appetite

If there is improvement within the first few days to a week that is a great sign. Some dogs will have a residual head tilt to some degree while others will relapse but until we have a better understanding why this happens in dogs we really support their quality of life in hopes of getting through to where they were before this occurred.

Other causes unfortunately do include a brain aneurism, tumor, a stroke to name a few

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you