Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 lb. mini Dauchshund that I treated with a liquid…

Customer Question
I have a 9...

I have a 9 lb. mini Dauchshund that I treated with a liquid form of clindamycin (ClinDrops @ 4ml / 12hours) for about a week until used up to treat a very bad breath for gum disease. It worked great and cleared up the smell, no problems and the dog seemed to be more active. But after 2 weeks the smell is back. What would be the recommended next step? Can she be given a low dose, continuous dosage? Would that cause other problems such as developing resistance. The dog is relatively health but is 14 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Lacy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lacy?

About a year ago her breath stunk really bad. I took her in and the removed 10 teeth that were rotten. They cleaned her teeth at the time and her breath cleared up. I started brushing daily with dog toothpaste to avoid what I though was a plaque smell. With so many teeth gone now, I have to feed her soft food because she could not eat hard food and she started loosing weight. The smell has come back.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ClinaCure strength is 25 mg/ml PO and dosage is 1 ml ( not 4ml) or 1 dropper every 12 hrs til gone which was about 1 week
5/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear Lacy is having an issue with her breath. Unfortunately dental disease is progressive and even if she had a cleaning last year she can have an issue with different teeth now that are causing the odor, despite your aggressive preventative measures.

We can do what is called pulse therapy of antibiotics which means we do two weeks on/ two weeks off antibiotics monthly and often rotating antibiotics to prevent resistance but without readdressing the underlying cause of dental disease this is the best option. I do this in patients that are not good anesthetic candidates or the owner simply cannot afford the cost of addressing the problem and it can really provide a good quality of life and minimize the odor and pain associated with dental changes

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman