Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Fmy 10 year old dachshund, vomited after I gave him a new…

Customer Question
Fmy 10 year old...

Fmy 10 year old dachshund, vomited after I gave him a new can food for easy to digest. And so did my older border collie mix I adopted a few months ago. I got karopetate for humans to give but I'm not sure if it's safe, both dogs have had diet reach as well. I have only been giving the mostly dry fo

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No just some bread I Thoth would help. Oh the upstairs dogs poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Copper ,my dachshund, Ellia the 13 yr old collie mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellia?

She is deaf and I'm treating her for. ear infection and eye infection, ordered by my vet.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Dachshund boy Copper who has vomited tonight after having canned food. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Copper to cause this vomiting, and while it is most likely due to the sudden change to the new canned diet, we also need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into) or even a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case with Copper, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight.

For now, make sure Copper has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on Copper's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Don't worry about the Karopetate, but if you think Copper is nauseous you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Copper and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I'm not sure if Ellia has vomited as well (it wasn't clear from your message), but if so - do keep an eye on her as well and follow the advice above for her also. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.