Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I put some tilapia with his food and he threw it up and now…

Customer Question
I put some tilapia...

I put some tilapia with his food and he threw it up and now is couhhing and weasing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Nope just the tilapia cooked in extra virgin olive oil

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Charlie 11 years old. He has never had this problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What's your answer?
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm working on your question right now. It'll just be a minute.

It sounds like this is probably just some mild gastroenteritis from the dietary change and tilapia. This can cause GI upset and nausea. I bet the coughing/ wheezing was from vomiting through his nose and into his throat.

Here is what I recommend for non-specific gastroenteritis in dogs:

1. With hold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.