Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a question about my puppy. A little worried and don't…

I have a question...

I have a question about my puppy. A little worried and don't know what to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your puppy?

She is a 7 month french bulldog that has has blood in her poop for a couple of months. We took her to the vet about 6 weeks ago and because we were changing her food the vet said to wait until the food change is done to see if she gets better. We have had her on the new food now for about 3 weeks and it's not better. Last one had a lot of blood. More than usual. Also, occasionally a little bit of blood in pee. She is eating and gaining weight well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

I don't think so unless he/she has some questions

Food is Hills Ideal Balance-no grain
Not vomiting regularly. Does vomit occasionally
Also eats her poop when we are not looking.
She seems lethargic for a puppy also
She also loves to suck on one of her fluffy toys a lot. I don’t know if this is to soothe her stomach?
5/23/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The most common reason for blood in the stool is parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms

In some cases these worms are passed from the dog to dog or even mother to pup in the case of puppies. In other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.

For additional information about worms, see this site

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/canine-intestinal-parasites.pml

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

Coccidia manifests as mild or severe diarrhea depending on how infected they are. If it is severe, there may be blood and mucous in the stool along with voming and loss of appetitie leading to dehydration You can read about it here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

Information on giardia

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/giardia-in-dogs/

Symptoms of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting.

Other causes could be anal growths, infected anal glands and inflammation within the large intestine. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/

I would hope that the vet tested for worms especially if she eats feces since worms are spread in fecal matter. I'd definitely keep deworming her until there is no sign of parasites in the feces.

While there are many reasons for blood in the feces, it can also be stress related or irritable bowel syndrome. You can read about this here:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_irritable_bowel_syndrome

There should not be blood in the urine unless it is from the vulva (dog in heat) or rectum and just being washed into the urine. Rectal bleeding is normally not an emergency unless a dog is not eating, vomiting and having other symptoms. However, more than just a couple of teaspoons of blood should trigger a vet visit.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

It is definitely not a couple of teaspoons of blood and it comes and goes. She will have one poop with no blood then the next with a few spots of blood. The vet did give us guardia and that clears it for a few days but then it comes back. Can you put a 7 month puppy on heart worm meds?

Yes. A puppy should be started on that earlier than 7 months. Many vets start heartgard as early as 8 weeks. It does take the larva a little over a month to mature into adults and heartworm medications usually kill the larva which is why it is given monthly.

If your pup has had a protozoan infection (giardia or coccidia) all standing water has to be cleaned up in the yard and fecal matter kept up to prevent the cysts that spread the infection from being washed into puddles that the dog will drink from and become infected again. Many dogs can fight it off on their own as their immune systems mature so that may happen with your dog as well.

jadedangel57
Thank you. Do you recommend first step is a stool sample to the vet? Should we wait for one with blood in it or it doesn’t matter?

It does not really matter if there is blood in it or not. Ultimately with protozoan infections the cysts are intermittent and it can take 3 consecutive stool samples to find the cysts. Most vets will just treat for it, but in this case I would try the stool sample first. I'd probably get a urine sample as well to check for a urinary tract infection as well.

You might also consider whether she might have an allergy to the food. Allergies can cause inflammation. I know you changed foods but you might go to a limited ingredient food such as venison and potato. At least talk to your vet about that possibility as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Hi! We had her poop tested (4 samples) and the results were negative. They called the test qpcr (we live in France). Giardia was definitely tested for.
Now the vet is recommending an exray and a blood test.
Would you do both? Or, one then the other? If one then the other, which one first?
She still has blood and mucous in her stools. Otherwise she is completely healthy!
Thanks for your help.

It is possible that your dog has IBS or irritable bowel syndrome which could be due to stress. She is pretty young and while a blood test might be helpful, perhaps all the testing, and transporting her is affecting her. If the vet has so far not found anything and she seems healthy, I might hold off on both for a few weeks and try and keep her life as stress free as possible. Establish routines for her. Some dogs experience stress when left home alone, others experience stress when they go in cars or to new places. I'd see if creating the most stress free routine for her helps with the issue.

If it continued, I'd consider a blood test first to see if there was an issue with organ dysfunction before an x-ray. I would also probably do better imaging than an x-ray since many things do not show up on an x-ray and might need a ct scan or mri. Ask your vet if he feels it is safe to wait and see if stress is a factor at this point.

Hi! Yvette seems okay when we leave her, she doesn’t cry, I believe she just sleeps. She rarely goes in the car.
I do think ibs is a possibility because the vet has suggested a different food (i.d. By hills). I haven’t tried that route yet because we just changed her to hills ideal balance puppy without wheat/grain.
The vet suggested the ecography before the blood test but we have not done that yet. I was waiting to see if there is any healing on its own.
Would the ecography be advisable by you?
We have to get her healthy because we need to bring her home to Canada with us at the end of July!
Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure an ultrasound is going to show much at this stage though if you were going to perform a test, that would be one of the best ones as it does show up things that normal imaging does not. Blood tests though can show elevated white cell counts indicating infection or other abnormal results which might point toward organ failure, etc. Like you, I'd wait and see how she does before changing her food again. She obviously is healthy otherwise so waiting a little while shouldn't hurt her. She is still young and if not spayed might be going through some hormonal shifts that can also lead to some stress.

Now some breeds are prone to EPI which can cause chronic diarrhea and bleeding but your vet can test for that if it seems it might be an issue. If this was my dog, I'd hold off and see if there is improvement with the diet switch. It usually does take some time to see improvement after a switch.

What is epi? Is there a test for that? Would the blood test tell us about that?
I really appreciate your input! Because we are in France and there is a language barrier I’m not feeling totally confident that our vet is doing what is best for our puppy.
☹️. Thank you.

Sorry about that. I meant to put a link to that.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/exocrine-pancreatic-insufficiency-in-dogs

Hi. Thanks for the link. I don’t believe she suffers from this because she isn’t losing weight. She’s been gaining and growing without issue. Her first morning poops are good and solid and then it’s like she squeezes more out and those are runny.. but then they return to solid by the afternoon.
This is such a mystery.
��

I just thought I should mention it. IBS sounds more like a real possibility.

Okay. Thank you!
For ibs... best is a change in diet? Any recommendations for food/kibble/ brands?

The following site goes over potential treatment methods that should help. You want an easily digestible diet probably with limited ingredients. Keep adding a probiotic to keep the tract healthy and keep her on a schedule for walks, feedings, etc to reduce stress as well.

https://www.2ndchance.info/inflambowel.htm