Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog vomited once earlier and had diarrhea x2. Noticed her…

Hi, my dog vomited...

Hi, my dog vomited once earlier and had diarrhea x2. Noticed her painting about an hour ago and just now started shivering.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

She is a multi poo. 8lbs. Didn’t eat anything different than her normal dog food and still ate her dinner.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Luna and 11mos old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?

Not that I can think of. She is a healthy and happy dog. Wants to cuddle right now.

5/23/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Luna vomited, had diarrhea, and is panting and shivering. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if she is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Her skin retracts back instantly. And her gums are still wet and slippery.

Very good. As long as she stays hydrated then you can continue to treat at home. I will give you some options in a moment. You will want to monitor the hydration with this test at least 1-2 times per day.

There are different causes of vomiting and diarrhea in dogs at this age. I am assuming Luna is fully vaccinated, so we are not going to consider parvovirus a likely cause. Intestinal parasites, food allergies / intolerance to certain ingredients, foreign body, inflammatory bowel disease, and internal organ inflammation (i.e. pancreas inflammation, bladder infection, etc.) are all possibilities. If she is being fed a raw food diet then food contamination should be considered. This would not be likely with properly stored home cooked food or a commercial diet.

Ok, thank you. I was worried about the sudden onset of her symptoms and just not sure if she needed to be seen ASAP or not and at least follow up with her regular vet if her symptoms don’t improve.

Treatment fo vomiting is to first withhold all food for the next 12-24 hours. This will also help treat the diarrhea. You can also give an over-the-counter remedy to help reduce nausea. A good over-the-counter medication you can give is Pepcid AC. The dose for a 8 lb dog dose is 2.5 mg (i.e. 1/4 tablet) every 12 hours.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed her a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. You can also add fiber to the diet to help bulk the stool to treat the diarrhea. Fiber sources may consist of canned pumpkin or Metamucil. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow her to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day. If she continues to vomit, or if you notice a worsening of her dehydration, then she should be treated by a veterinarian.

Does that help to answer your question?

Thank you so much for all the information and for the help with her symptoms and management.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian