Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vomiting from antibiotics. She got into a porcupine, was…

Vomiting from antibiotics. She...

Vomiting from antibiotics. She got into a porcupine, was sedated to remove quills, given a course of antibiotics (cepahlexin).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, her usual food. I've been giving the pills after her meals. She throws up a few hours later.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Hazel, 3.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hazel?

No. I also tried waiting four or five hours after a meal to administer the antibiotics but she still threw up a few hours later.

5/22/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has Hazel been on the antibiotics for? Is this the first time she has been on antibiotics?

She's been on them since Saturday morning. This is the first time.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Does she still seem to have an appetite despite her vomiting? It sounds like she is sensitive to that particular antibiotic. If that is the case then she will likely need to discontinue the antibiotic. I would ask your veterinarian about switching to another antibiotics to see if it helps. There is also an injectable antibiotic called Convenia that seems to have less side effects when compared to the oral antibiotics.

She has good appetite and is her usual frisky self. Other dog who also got into the porcupine and is on Cephalexin is having no problem.

Okay at least she is not having long term effects to the antibiotic. Though not too common some dogs can be sensitive to certain medications while others may not. Fortunately in most cases switching to a new antibiotics usually solves the issue.

OK, thank you. I will talk to her vet tomorrow.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne