Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, male dog and 15 years…

Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of...

Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, male dog and 15 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, and no change of diet

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Baxter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?

Only the same thing happened a year ago, could it be from the gardens, like fertilizer.

5/22/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Baxter has been vomiting and has diarrhea and loss of appetite. There are some treatments we can try, but one of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if Baxter is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Right now he has normal gums, and the skin has a 2 sec reflex

Very good. As long as he stays hydrated then he can continue to be treated at home. If signs dehydration is observed then it is recommended to see a veterinarian for treatment.

How do we proceed, he is drinking water,

There are different causes for vomiting and diarrhea such as intestinal parasites, sudden food changes, foreign body, and internal organ disease. Hopefully Baxter got into something that was not a regular food item (i.e. grass) that will not cause further harm and can respond favorably to some over the counter treatment. If these symptoms continue despite the following treatment, or if you notice dehydration, then Baxter should be seen by your veterinarian for some diagnostics.

OK

Treatment for vomiting and diarrhea is to first withhold all food for the next 12-24 hours. You can also give an over-the-counter remedy to help reduce nausea. A good over-the-counter medication you can give is Pepcid AC. The dose for a 20 lb dog dose is 5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if Baxter weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for him.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed him a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Adding fiber to the food can help resolve the diarrhea. Canned pumpkin and Metamucil are safe sources of fiber you can add to the food. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow him to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring his hydration status 1-2 times per day. If he continues to vomit, or if you notice a worsening of his dehydration, then he should be treated by a veterinarian.

Does that help to answer your question?

Very much so and thank you very much.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian