Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had diarrhea for a day now and he had a little…

My dog has had...

My dog has had diarrhea for a day now and he had a little bit of blood in his poop this morning. ( it wasn’t solid poop, it was like liquid about the size of a baseball and one side of it was red) he is acting normal and full of energy so I’m not sure what to do. Can his butt bleed from being sore/Irrated from the diarrhea?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Brantley and he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brantley?

I don’t think so. He’s a pretty healthy dog. We think he ate paper towels that had oil on them from deep frying fish

5/22/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, let me know, and I can opt out to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. That blood in the stool is usually due to inflammation of the colon (colitis). It most commonly occurs due to something they ate, but it can be due to intestinal parasites, stress, masses in the colon, irritable bowel syndrome, liver problems or pancreatic problems. Given his history, it most likely is from the oil-soaked paper towels. As long as he is eating, drinking, not vomiting and acting normally; it most likely isn't anything more serious than that. If it is just a small amount of blood, then you can always try feeding him some boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice with either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin for added fiber. The meal is bland, and the added fiber can help with colitis. If the blood starts getting worse, he still has blood in his stool tomorrow, he starts vomiting, he isn't eating, he seems painful or uncomfortable, or diarrhea lasts more than 48 hours, then I would get him seen by your vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation (rating me now does not close your question). If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you so much for you help

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Hello, I got home today and his stools are very very lose still. He’s had diarrhea for about 36 hours now. Should I be concerned and bring him to the vet now?

Yeah, I would go ahead and bring him in. I normally give it about 48 hours, but that would put you in the middle of the night, so I would just play it safe and get him seen now. Let me know if you need anything else.