Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, a roughly 60 pound Pitbull, ate almost of a smaller…

Hello, my dog, a...

Hello, my dog, a roughly 60 pound Pitbull, ate almost of a smaller clove of garlic and approximately 1/8 cup of onion today while I was at work. I’m not sure how long ago the consumption happened but when he burps, I can smell the garlic. He is not symptomatic and I’ve been monitoring the color of his gums which are normal. He’s been drinking water but did not eat his dinner. He did eat 2 milkbone dog treats. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Fabio, 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fabio?

No, he’s behaving normally.

5/22/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Fabio swallowed a clove of garlic and 1/8 cup of onion. Is that a correct summary of what happened?

I am making a couple calculations. I will be right with you in 1-2 minutes.

The toxic dose for garlic is 2.5 grams / pound of body weight. A single clove of garlic equals approximately 2.5 grams, so this would require Fabio to have swallowed approximately 27 cloves before toxicity is reached. The toxic dose for onions 9 grams / pound of body weight. A medium size onion equals about 120 grams, so 1/8 cup (~ 1/2 onion) equals 60 grams. His toxic dose is 490 grams.

So this information tells us that he did not swallow a toxic dose of either garlic or onions. However, issues of upset stomach such as nausea and vomiting / diarrhea may still be observed. It is important to monitor for symptoms of nausea such as lip licking or salivating. Otherwise, no treatment is necessary.

Does that help to answer your question?

Thank you!

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian