Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We had Cinnamon for almost 13 wonderful years. She was

We had Cinnamon for...

We had Cinnamon for almost 13 wonderful years. She was precious. While away on a trip this past week, we received a call from the dog sitter saying they had found her in a pool of blood out her bottom and a little blood around her nose. They rushed her to our vet but by the time they got there she had passed. When they did the Necropsy they found absolutely no reason why she would have bled out. They did find that she had NO food in her system. None...anywhere...which I find rather strange. Something had to have caused her to bleed out like that. We are so sad we can hardly talk about her without crying. If we just knew why. We have no closure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Cinnamon and she was almost 13 years old. She was a Golden, Irish Setter mix that we adopted at 6 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cinnamon?

She recently had ACL surgery. It about a month ago. She never did get over that.

She had ACL surgery a little over a month ago. She never did seem to get over that. Plus she has had a cough for about 3 months that we could not get rid of.
On Sunday of this week we believe she threw up. There were 5 dogs with the dog sitter so we were not sure it was her throw up but now we suspect it was. It was a lot and it had grass in it and there was a lot rust color liquid with it.
Cinnamon was an Irish Setter/Golden Retriever mix and we adopted her when she was 6 months old. She was the most precious dog we have ever had. She was slated to be put down the day we adopted her!
5/22/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your question and several moments to type up my thoughts.

Okay. Thanks

My deepest condolences on your loss. It is hard enough to lose a beloved pet, but especially difficult when things happen quickly and we don't know why they happened.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. We see this more frequently in small dogs but it can happen in any size dog. It causes nausea, vomiting and jelly clot like profuse bloody diarrhea. It can quickly lead to dehydration and death if not treated very aggressively very quickly. Dogs can go from apparently healthy to extremely ill in a matter of hours. We aren't sure of the causative agent though we suspect a bacterial toxin may be involved.
This seems to be the most likely scenario with your description of the events before her death and no obvious cause on her necropsy. The changes in her body that led to profuse bloody diarrhea were at the microscopic level. Unless a biopsy was done it would be hard to diagnose.

It is likely that she initially felt nauseous, thus she probably didn't eat her regular food well that day, but her nausea led her eat grass and vomit, and then a few hours later that was followed by the bloody diarrhea before passing away due to dehydration.

The good news is that she didn't suffer long, and it it sounds like she had a wonderful, long life with you.

I hope that I have given you peace by trying to explain what may have happened.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Thank you so much for answering me so quickly Dr. Kara. It helps to know she did not suffer long.

I am glad I could help in your grieving process. Please take care, she was a lucky girl to have been so loved.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
I am finished. Thank you.