Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is panting and trembling. She is a mini Aussie, 2 year…

She is panting and...

She is panting and trembling.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

She is a mini Aussie, 2 year and 2 months old. it has been going on about 30-40 minutes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the animal?

She has been trembling/shaking and panting for the last 30-40 minutes

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?

I fed her and she pooped in the kitchen and the poop was soft, not as firm as usual. This started before she ate

she is a 2 year old mini aussie
5/22/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Molly. Does she have any health problems that we need to know about? Anything she could have gotten into today?

No health problems. Nothing that I know of her getting into. she doesn't seem to be trembling quite as bad now.

Ok, thats good. Can you lift her lip and check that her gums are nice and pink?

pink

Ok, good. Did she eat all her dinner? Any vomiting?

she ate and I didn't see any vomiting. just the soft stool in the kitchen soon after eating.

Ok, great. Panting and trembling can be signs of discomfort. It sounds like she may be having a GI issue since you saw some change in the stool.

Any new food or people food in the past couple of days?

No, but the blinds got sucked to the window and startled her.

Ah, ok, panting and trembling can also be signs of anxiety....does she have a history of any fearful behavior with storms or anything like that?

she does have separation anxiety. she is kinda glued to me right now.

Ok, so it could be some anxiety from something she can sense.....like if its going to storm there. Or it could be the start of some gastrointestinal issue. Since her gums and nice and pink and she is breathing ok, it sounds like she is stable for now.

I would suggest trying a bland diet for the next 24 hours, like boiled chicken and rice. Monitor for any vomiting, decreased appetite, or more soft stools.

You can also give a dose of Pepcid to help calm her stomach. How much does she weigh?

probably 25 lbs
It might be anxiety. she did jump when the breeze sucked the blind into the window.
Her panting and trembling has slowed quite a bit now.

Yeah, that could be it! If you want to try the Pepcid, you can give 1/2 of a 10mg tablet.

I'm glad to hear she is feeling a bit better.

For anxiety, you may want to try a thunder shirt - you can order them online. Some people have good success with them, but they don't work for everyone.

There is also a product called Rescue Remedy that can help with anxiety.

I've also used Reconcile, also called D.A.P., which is a pheromone that helps relax them.

Your veterinarian would also be able to prescribe medication for anxiety if needed!

Let me know if I can help further!

Dr. Snow

OK. The thunder shirt didn't seem to help my other dog with separation anxiety. But maybe I didn't leave it on him enough.

Yeah I just don't think it works for some dogs unfortunately.

Thanks, ***** ***** better. At least is wasn't like my Sheltie that came in with a 10" wood sliver in her side. I kinda freaked at that. 13 staples the next ,morning and the vet bill for it and away we went.

Oh my goodness that is scary!

You're welcome! Please let me know if I can help further, and please kindly rate me using the stars at the top!

Sarah Snow
thanks

You're welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow