Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a roach trap, We are not sure which dog ate the…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a roach trap

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

We are not sure which dog ate the trap we have 2 doxen one is 12 pounds the other is 22 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Troy or Milo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Troy?

Troy is 12 pounds Milo is 22

5/21/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand one of your dogs swallowed a roach trap. Can you please tell me the name of the brand of roach trap that was swallowed?

Combat bait station
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Combat-Small-Large-Roaches-Roach-Killing-Bait-Stations-12-ct-Box/16672609?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=355&adid=22222222228016734582&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40343332952&wl4=pla-78303791672&wl5=9013039&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=16672609&wl13=355&veh=sem

Thank you. I am nearly finished with my response. Please bear with me a moment longer.

The potential toxic concerns with this ingredient at this dosage is upset stomach as observed with nausea (i.e. drooling, lip licking, lack of appetite, etc.), vomiting, and diarrhea. Therefore, treatment is aimed at reducing nausea. There is no need to induce vomiting since the dose is not high enough to cause systemic problems.

Treatment for nausea is to give a medication to reduce nausea and also to withhold food for a period of 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter remedy you can give is Pepcid. The dose for a 12 lb dog is 2.5 mg (i.e. ¼ tablet) every 12 hours. The dose for a 22 lb dog is 5 mg (i.e. ½ tablet) every 12 hours as needed. If no signs of vomiting or nausea are observed after 24 hours then you will want to feed a low fat / highly digestible diet such as boiled chicken or white rice. Feed in small amounts at a time. This can be done for 2-3 days, and if no issues of nausea are observed then they can be fed their regular diet again.

Does that help to answer your question?

Thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry