Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just got home and noticed that my dog was acting weird and…

Hi I just got...

Hi I just got home and noticed that my dog was acting weird and when I looked to see what was going on I realize that her dewclaw on her left Paul her nails are all torn off so I'm trying to figure out what kind of over the counter medicine I can give her to help her with the pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Suger and she's about I'll say maybe three or four I have to look at her papers from when I adopted her

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Suger?

I think she's probably maybe for five maybe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Suger?

No I just need to know if there's any over-the-counter pain medicine I can give her to get her through the night I mean she still walking on it fine and no hurting but she's you can tell she's in pain just by how she's acting so I need to know what I can give her to give her some relief until I can get her to the vet

5/21/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear Sugar is in discomfort. The most important thing is to not allow licking. This is critical as the mouth is full of bacteria and will introduce an infection where there is none

Next, it will depend on whether there is active bleeding. Since it sounds like there is no active bleeding try to put a sock on the foot so that the nail is not further damages or dislodged and causes recurrent bleeding also prevent further licking as well. As long as it is not actively bleeding and you are able to place a sock on the foot you should be alright until tomorrow when your veterinarian can see you both.

Unfortunately ideal is for your veterinarian to pull the nail and it is not recommended attempting this at home. It can be quite painful, cause a lot of bleeding, and sometimes dogs will snap while pulling with hemostats. It should always be done with two sets of hands

You can also give benadryl 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick and allow resting comfortably overnight

Ideal is to wait until your veterinarian can dispense something safe for Sugar tomorrow and see if the benadryl allows her to rest to night but if needed the only safe over the counter pain medications for dogs is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin when you take Sugar into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today. I am online another 15 minutes

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both before I exit for the evening

Will a 81 mg aspirin be okay or do I need to cut that in half

What is her weight please?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

The aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both and I hope that she is feeling better by morning

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman