Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 month old cocker spaniel just tried to eat a jobes tree…

My 7 month old...

My 7 month old cocker spaniel just tried to eat a jobes tree spike He only got like a little piece broke off

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Koba

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Koba?

No - he is otherwise healthy and going in tomorrow for neutering

5/20/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns and several moments to type up my thoughts and recommendations.

I understand that you are concerned that Koba ate a piece of a Jobe's tree fertilizer spike.
The good news is that none of the ingredients in these spikes are truly toxic. These are very typical ingredients in a fertilizer.
High levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more he ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see. Since he only ate a small piece it is possible that you won't see any effects at all.

If he seems to feel nauseous to settle his stomach you can give an acid reducer. At home you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel better. They can be given for several days if necessary.

And you can also feed a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.
That should be all you need to do. And of course hide any more fertilizer that you may have from him. Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.

If he has a very sensitive stomach you may see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet doesn't control. If that's the case he may need to see a veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Thank you very much. This was very helpful and I am relieved!

Glad to help, my best to your pup.