Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of my dogs ate a chicken drumstick bone. I’m wondering…

One of my dogs...

One of my dogs ate a chicken drumstick bone. I’m wondering if I should induce vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your Dog will be able to digest that. What is your Dog's name and age?

I have two dogs. Paddington and Wendell. 2.5 and 1.5 year’s respectively.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Dog's name?

I’m not sure which one ate it.

5/20/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the bone may have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction. Luckily chicken bones are hollow and should pass without incident if your dogs are medium or larger breeds but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed 2-3 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the bone through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the bone coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Thanks

You are very welcome

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman