Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 week old puppy ate a malcetic wipe. Luna. Otherwise…

My 14 week old...

My 14 week old puppy ate a malcetic wipe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Luna

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?

No. Otherwise very healthy happy puppy. She ate it 20 minutes ago. I gave her some hydrogen peroxide immediately afterwards but so far no vomiting and she’s acting fine.

5/20/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns and give my recommendations.

1. How much does your pup weigh?
  2. How much peroxide did you give?
  3. Was it fresh (unexpired)? Expired peroxide will NOT work.
  4. How long ago did you give the peroxide?
  5. Did you get her running around afterwards?
She weighs 8-9 lbs. I gave her one teaspoon. I’m not sure if it was expired or not. I don’t see a date on the bottle. We have a second, newer bottle in the house. I gave her the HP about 25 minutes ago. I put her in the yard with my bulldog (who uses the malcetic wipes for his tail!). They ran around a little bit.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup ate something she should not have.

These wipes are absorbent and tend to expand quite a bit in the juices of the gastrointestinal system. It may pass but if she just ate it, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get her to vomit it back up.

At 8-9 pounds you can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with bread chunks or ice cream

Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits. If the peroxide doesn't fizz/bubble it won't work!

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pieces are present.

Once she finishes vomiting and empties her stomach to try and settle her stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 8 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 8 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 1 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether she vomits most of the foreign material back up or not to help push the remaining pieces through.

If you don't have peroxide you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

If she doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take her to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.

If it has been several hours since she ate the wipe it is likely too late to induce vomiting, the pieces will likely be out of her stomach. All you can do at that point is watch her closely. If she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
No further questions. Our puppy seems absolutely fine. She’s eating and pooping as normal and has great energy. Thank you.