Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How much does this session cost? WE are traveling with our 8…

How much does this...

How much does this session cost?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

WE are traveling with our 8 lb papillon. He is taking Zylkene, Trazodone and Dramamine to combat motion sickness and anxiety. Yesterday he experienced nausea and vomiting as we traveled. The diarrhea even contained some blood at one point. WE will be traveling again tomorrow. Is Trazodone the likely culprit? We he has been taking in for about a week. We don't know what to give him now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

It was a huge mess. He was in his car seat and it was all over everything. As far as I know he ate nothing unusual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 10 mos

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?

I don't think so

5/20/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

I understand that your pet Teddy is on several medications for anxiety and motion sickness and now has a bout of what sounds like colitis. Colitis is listed as one of the adverse effects of the Trazodone medication that he is on; however it is unusual for a pet to develop a sensitivity to a medication after having been on it for a week already. Nonetheless, you can consider stopping this medication and treating his colitis. Typically bloody loose stool is best treated with a short course of antibiotics (Metronidazole) and probiotics as well as a bland diet. You can try the probiotics and bland diet for now, since you are on the road, and if this doesn't do the trick then find a veterinarian in your area to take him to. Culturelle probiotics over the counter work well in dogs, and is the only probiotic I recommend if the pet formulated ones aren't readily available to a pet owner.

- Dr. H

Trazodone isn't one of the drugs that has to be weaned off, so you can abruptly stop this medication.

A bland diet of boiled plain chicken and rice or cottage cheese in small portions is recommended. Alos you can add 1-2 tsp's of canned pumpkin to his food to add fiber and help solidify his stools.

Is Teddy also lethargic at all? What is his energy level right now?

- Dr. H

He is acting pretty normal right now.

Perfect. That is a good sign that this is likely just his GI tract affected and nothing more.

Dramamine also has the potential to cause GI effects (vomiting, diarrhea) as well. Did you just add this medication in to the regimen or was it started a week ago as well?

- Dr. H

We wondered about the Dramamine It is a recent add ion..3 days ago He has had diarrhea for the past 3 days. It was particularly bad yeasterday while confined traveling.

Yes then it is more likely to be the Dramamine. I would remove that one and continue the Trazodone, since it is the less likely culprit. : ) You can visit a local vet to get a pet formulated motion sickness medication called Cerenia, if his motion sickness is really bad off. I hope this helps!

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Thank you so much. Ted does have a bad time in the car. Maybe the new med would help.

You are most welcome for the advice. Best wishes with Ted and I hope that he feels better soon during his road trip. I am sure it has been quite the adventure so far with his blowout diarrhea. : ( You may want to consider placing a diaper on him until his stools normalize. Visit your local pet store to see what options are available b/c most diapers are for urinary leakage and not the other end.

Best of luck to you! Take care.

- Dr. H

* Please don't forget to leave me a rating before you leave today. This is the only way that I am credited with assisting you and your pet today. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and have a good luck with your pets care moving forward! *

- Dr. H

Teddy is doing well now. We did stop the Dramamine and start him on bland food and pumpkin. That really helped. Since it was Sunday and we were in a small town with no vet available, it was very helpful to have your online service. Thank you.

Excellent! I am glad to hear that Teddy is doing so well with just a few adjustments and also that you were able to avoid a vet visit for him. Best wishes and I hope things continue to go well for Teddy during your road trip. Take care!