Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 10 year old mixed terrier is throwing up chunks of blood…

Our 10 year old...

Our 10 year old mixed terrier is throwing up chunks of blood (started this morning). She is hiding under the table. She is usually very peppy and gregarious. We have tried calling several vets but can't get a hold of any. Any suggestions, as to what this might be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the terrier eat anything unusual?

Not to our knowledge. She went outside, as she always does to potty. We have 2 other dogs and they are not showing any symptoms.She appears to be very ill. Several years back, her sister dies of parvo. All three of our dogs have been vaccinated. My husband says, she is vomiting up blood. It's bright red along with mucus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the terrier's name?

Julie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Julie?

No...she was fine last night. We have never seen her like this, she is a happy and peppy dog. We are very worried.She has no other health problems.

5/20/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond.

T​hat sounds very serious. It If she is vomiting up bright red blood that means there is bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract. It could be she ate something we do not know about or she could have an infection. Sometimes dogs have internal growths that bleed. I would take her to an emergency clinic. They are open 24-7. You may have to drive further, or far, but they will be open. This is not something you can treat at home. Does that make sense?

ma'am. There is one in Longview, Tx. We will take her. We now, have to tell our 15 year old. Julie's his best friend. Do you think they can save her?

U​nfortunately, there is no way I can answer that without knowing the cause. If she just has an infection causing the bleeding then yes, they can save her. Dogs vomiting blood is not uncommon. But, like I said, I really do not know how serious it is without doing more tests such as blood work or abdominal x-rays.

I would probably bring the 15 year old along just in case.

But hope for the best.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby is very knowledgeable and caring. She gave us excellent advise, regarding our very ill dog. We were able to save her because of Dr. Gabby's advice. She was spot on with the diagnosis and she directed us to go to a pet ER (same diagnosis and treatment, she had recommended). It's obvious, she loves animals and knows what she's doing! God gave her that gift! We are very thankful

Awww, those are the nicest words I've heard in a long time and my heart is smiling. I am glad to hear she was able to be treated and made it. : )

You're welcome...and we meant every word of it. You were instrumental in saving our Julie's life.May the Lord bless you and keep you safe. Continue to use your gift!