Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I had a mixture on my short table of bleach, water, and mr…

Customer Question
I had a mixture...

I had a mixture on my short table of bleach, water, and mr clean cleaner and I was on my back patio and thought I shut the door behind me so I was moving some furniture outside and turned around and he was hovering over the bowl and licking his lips. I have him water and gave him a little milk but he seams to be fine right now and I don’t think he could have drank much of it. He’s about 70 pounds and he’s a german Shepherd mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Shepherd?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Shepherd seem to hurt?

No he seems fine but I read online that they can act completely normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

He seems to be drooling a little and licking his lips every few minutes

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the Shepherd's name?

Kingsley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kingsley?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 19 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have you noticed any vomiting or diarrhea?

Does Kingsley's breath smell like the cleaner?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
He’s acting normal now but I just read that sometimes they don’t get symptoms for a while and my dog is my best friend so I just had to ask someone so I called a 24 hour vet near me and they gave me a number for an animal poison hotline but they wanted to charge me $60 just to ask a question.

Poison Control is a pay-for service, though they are absolutely the go-to folks when a dog has consumed something they shouldn't have consumed. They will be able to give you the best information on how to proceed.

What I can tell you is that depending on how much was consumed, there is a risk of toxicity. The Mr. Clean, in particular, contains chemicals known to be an irritant to the GI tract. Along with the bleach exposure we could expect to see nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, profound lethargy, etc. The ideal approach would be to take your companion in overnight to your local ER and have him evaluated. They will likely recommend monitoring overnight and give medications to try to prevent the aforementioned symptoms. If you must approach this at home, I would try to keep Kingsley drinking fluids to help dilute what might have been consumed. You can use low sodium broth and even water mixed with milk. Then, if any symptoms do develop, you will certainly need to have him evaluated by your vet and treated. It would also be a wise measure to switch to a bland diet for 5-7 days following this potential ingestion (it certainly won't hurt if he did not consume the cleaning water).

To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively for 5-7 days. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse