Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog just accidentally ate about 1-2 tablespoons of cooked…

Customer Question
Hey my dog just...

Hey my dog just accidentally ate about 1-2 tablespoons of cooked onion

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Before I caught him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Leo he’s 2

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- How many hours has it been since he ate the onions?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

He’s a 70lbs Herman Shepard husky cross and about 10 minutes
german not Herman

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

No I don’t have peroxide

Friend, though onions are toxic to dogs toxicity is dependent on the amount of onions consumed and weight of the dog. The toxic dose is 5g/kg. In this case, 2 tablespoon is not likely to be toxic to a 70 lbs dog. He may vomit or get diarrhea otherwise he will be fine. I would keep an eye on him; if he vomits or gets diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If you notice abdominal swelling, abdominal pain, restlessness or profound lethargy have him checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter