Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is getting b12 shots (3000 mcg) from his vet for serious…

Customer Question
He is getting b12...

He is getting b12 shots (3000 mcg) from his vet for serious IBD issues. He is a Boston Terrier. His weight is back up to 20 lbs . I asked if we could take the shots home to give him and the receptionist said no. It is a long drive and more expensive to have them give the shots. I have diabetes and have had to give insulin injections to myself, heprin shots to my Father when on hospice and years ago I gave myself allergy shots at home. How do I go about getting this to give my dog at home?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is your Boston Terrier's name and age?

The dog doesn't have diabetes, I do. The dog has serious IBD and has lost a lot of weight and is only just getting past the serious diarrhea.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Boston Terrier?

His diet right now consists of potatoes, peas or tuna (once in a while) and some protein powders. He can't tolerate any of the dog food that we have tried per the Vets suggestions. I think the b12 shots are helping but the expense and inconvenience of driving so far to get the shots are getting difficult.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I was about to sign off and wanted to respond with a recommendation. There is a new pancreatic supplement that includes B12 in it and something that I have transitioned my dog to with success. This would help you avoid the injections (which you should be allowed to do if you are comfortable with by the way) with the oral formula which before was not an option

The name is Panzquin, CLICK HERE for a link to this product which is new this year and your veterinarian might not be aware of and is by prescription only

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am going to be signing off but will return in the morning if I missed you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!