Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab ate about 1/3 of a foam baseball about an hour ago.

Customer Question
My lab ate about...

My lab ate about 1/3 of a foam baseball about an hour ago. Acting normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Trevi. Just turned 1 last Friday. 71lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Trevi?

1 last Friday

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trevi?

No other medical issues. Has passed a sock before. He’s a trip! Lol

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Just a text thanks

It may pass but since this isn't digestible since he just ate it, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get him to vomit it back up.

You can give him 3 tablespoons of fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with bread chunks or ice cream

Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the pieces are present.

Once he finishes vomiting and empties his stomach to try and settle his stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. Peroxide works by irritating the stomach lining so it is a good idea to try to soothe his stomach.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2-3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether he vomits most of the sponge material back up or not to help push the remaining pieces through.

If you don't have fresh (unexpired) peroxide you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting. DO NOT bother with expired peroxide, it won't work because it doesn't bubble/fizz as it should.

If he doesn't vomit it back up or you don't have peroxide but you choose not to take him to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.

Once it has been several hours since he ate the foam ball it is likely too late to induce vomiting, the pieces will likely be out of his stomach. All you can do at that point is watch him closely. If later he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 19 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 17 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian