Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 year old Golden Retriever adopted from a rescue…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 7 year old Golden Retriever adopted from a rescue when he was 5 years old. I have general vet records for him back to 2012. From what I can see, he was Lyme positive as of 2012 but there is no record of treatment. Since we adopted him in Dec 2015, he has had 2 seizures. He had one seizure while in foster for the rescue organization and a couple documented seizures in his previous homes. No medication for the seizures. He's an anxious boy. Has consistently showed low protein in urine from previous vet records. Since I have had him, I have worked with vets to treat his GI issues (Documented low Folate and B12), anxiety and spine (hip) issues. In the past couple weeks, he has been increasingly low energy, anorexia and lethargy. We had another Golden that died unexpected in January. I have been watching my boy (George) for depression since then. Took him to the vet again today and they drew labs to send out for detailed info on the Lyme. I am wondering if his health history could be attributed to untreated Lyme disease prior to my adopting him. I will continue to work with my vet but I did some research tonight after reading his previous vet records and am concerned about kidney disease due to the positive Lyme. Hard to interpret without more tests, of course, but looking for tools to get a bigger view of what could be happening. As of today, they put him on Sulcrafate to calm his GI tract and to see if he will eat. He did eat more tonight after the med. This sounds like so many things happening but I am beginning to wonder if everything is actually tied together - I guess that is my question. Does it sound like GI inflammation, seizures, anxiety, spinal pain and non congenital hip issues could be tied into a positive untreated Lyme?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Golden Retriever?

Thank you! He is an English Crème Golden Retriever. He's had at least two previous families and he was underweight for some time due to underfeeding. It sounds like he had a pretty rough start. He has super quirky fears and anxieties triggered by noises of different pitches. He is fearful/petrified of the car. He does not urinate overly often and he is not drink an overly amount of water. He weighs about 90 pounds.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer your question directly, "probably not". Abnormal physical exam findings with borreliosis (Lyme) are most often missing. When present, a Lyme arthritis is evidenced by warm, swollen, painful joint(s), fever, and local lymphadenopathy. Lyme nephropathy is the most common serious sequela of infection and is evidenced by dehydration secondary to renal failure, ascites/edema (nephrotic syndrome), saddle thromboembolism (blood clot in the aorta where it divides into the hind legs), dyspnea (difficult breathing) due to pulmonary thromboembolis, and retinal hemorrhage/detachment due to hypertension.

It's important to note that a Lyme positive only indicates exposure to Lyme - not clinical infection - and the standard of care is not to treat asymptomatic dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the additional information. Just trying to look at every possible avenue as his symptoms are not better and there aren’t answers at this point. I don’t have any further questions. Thanks for your response!

You're quite welcome. I would be pleased to review any test results for you. You can scan them into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I will definitely keep that in mind! Thank you so much!

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Perfect. Thank you!

It's my pleasure.