Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has a spot on his ankle that is missing hair. I’ve been…

Customer Question
He has a spot...

He has a spot on his ankle that is missing hair. I’ve been watching it for about a week and it seems to be slowly getting worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Albus and he is 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Albus?

No. He’s a rescue but we’ve had him almost a year now. He’s a border collie corgi mix

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this spot to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Are you seeing Albus annoy that area - lick/bite at it?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
No he hasn’t seemed to notice it at all, which is kind of more concerning than if he was liking it.

Thank you. Have his vet skin scrape the periphery of that skin lesion looking for demodicosis - "red mange" - relatively common in young dogs such as Albus. If mites can't be seen, a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of skin surface) should be performed looking for abnormal numbers of either bacteria or yeast. If those can't be found, fungal culture of hairs at the periphery of the lesion needs to be performed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Thank you!

You're quite welcome. Only a dermatophyte (ringworm fungus) is contagious to you and other pets. Wash well after handling that area. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian