Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has separation anxiety and is on Lovan and Trazadone.

Customer Question
My dog has separation...

My dog has separation anxiety and is on Lovan and Trazadone. About 2 weeks ago the vet asked me to try to wean her off the Lovan, so instead of giving her the normal 1.5 tablets a day, for a week she had only 1 tablet and the for 2 days she had only .5 of a tablet. We then increased the dose back up to 1.5 a day because she went backwards quite quickly. She destroyed a number of things at home while we were out and was increasingly anxious when she could see I was getting ready to take my daughter to school etc. she’s been back on 1.5 tablets a day for 4 days now. When I got back from dropping my daughter off at school this morning, the dog had ripped into a bag of plaster of Paris. I don’t think she swallowed much, if any, but wanted to know if this was toxic and what I should do? Thanks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

I’m not sure if she actually swallowed any at all as the powder was everywhere and when I cleaned it up it looked like the whole bag was there, but potentially she may have swallowed a little plaster of Paris while ripping the bag open.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She’s a Dalmatian x boxer, weighs 24kg/ 53 pounds and as I said is on Lovan and trazadone. That’s about all.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/2/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 19 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. You mentioned that she may have consumed "a little" plaster of paris. Can you tell me roughly how much this might be?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian