Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's breathing is fast, he's lethargic, drooling more than…

Customer Question
He's breathing is fast...

He's breathing is fast, he's lethargic, drooling more than normal he's an Italian mastiff. Kame has no appetite and looked to see what he got into and there was a dead saga palm that started growing small frawns and there gone now!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Mastiff. What is the Mastiff's name and age?

Kane he is 1 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kane?

No perfect health current on everything.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow ingested part of a Sago Palm plant.

While the seeds are the most toxic all parts of the palm are extremely toxic.

I am very concerned that he is drooling a lot, breathing fast and is lethargic. This plant is so toxic that even small amounts left in the body can lead to symptoms hours to days later such as gastrointestinal upset including vomiting, and diarrhea and lethargy, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, liver failure and fluid accumulating in the abdomen, jaundice, bloody or tarry stools, tremors, seizures, and death.

This is NOT a toxicity that can be dealt with at home. Even with aggressive treatment (inducing fluids and activated charcoal given to bind the toxin) we may still lose our patients.

I know you had hoped for home care options but I highly recommend that he be seen immediately on an emergency basis and hospitalized for treatment. This is not something I would recommend waiting and watching with, or attempting ant sort of treatment at home.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian