Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Looks like he had an irritation on his neck area and

Looks like he had...

Looks like he had an irritation on his neck area and continued to scratch. This created a wound with some minor bleeding, but he scratched so much, it's pretty bare there now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He stayed in his crate all day (after going for a nice walk). He normally just naps and such around the house.

4/30/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

It sounds like your pet has a bit of a "hot spot" also known as allergic dermatitis. Do you have any antiseptic cleanser, like Hibiclens, & any type of antibacterial ointment, preferably with hydrocortisone?

Thank you.

I put some of the hydrocortisone creme on his wound the last couple days. I washed it will soapy water as well (he didn't like that). Just want to avoid infection. I don't have any antiseptic cleanser, but can certainly get some. Hydo peroxide?

I would avoid the soap & peroxide as they can be a little irritating. The Hibiclens is readily availably at any pharmacy & you just dab it on to clean. I like mixing a bit of the hydrocortisone with an equal amount of Neosporin or triple antibiotic & gently rubbing this onto the irritated area after using the cleaner. Doing this twice a day usually heals things up in about a week.

OK, we'll try that. Any tricks to prevent him from scratching the area?

You can try placing a t-shirt if it will cover the area, or an Elizabethan cone, or even some other kind of bandage, but usually once it starts to dry out & heal, he should leave it alone. Sometimes you need to get a little inventive, but eventually, it will heal.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
OK, thanks

You are very welcome. I anything else concerns you, ust reply here as this thread will remain open for a week.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda